Yes, I'm a natural RED, WHITE and BLUE

Insprirational quote from service last Sunday: "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Must Read Column... For everybody BUT Marc, since I don't feel like arguing around Christmas

Live and Let Spy
by Ann Coulter
Posted Dec 21, 2005

...Which brings me to this week's scandal about No Such Agency spying on "Americans." I have difficulty ginning up much interest in this story inasmuch as I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East, and sending liberals to Guantanamo.

But if we must engage in a national debate on half-measures: After 9/11, any president who was not spying on people calling phone numbers associated with terrorists should be impeached for being an inept commander in chief.

With a huge gaping hole in lower Manhattan, I'm not sure why we have to keep reminding people, but we are at war. (Perhaps it's because of the media blackout on images of the 9/11 attack. We're not allowed to see those because seeing planes plowing into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon might make us feel angry and jingoistic.)

Among the things that war entails are: killing people (sometimes innocent), destroying buildings (sometimes innocent) and spying on people (sometimes innocent).

That is why war is a bad thing. But once a war starts, it is going to be finished one way or another, and I have a preference for it coming out one way rather than the other...

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, December 23, 2005 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Marc with a C said…

    Are you kidding me? That was the best laugh I've had since watching 30 seconds' worth of Fox News yesterday ;) Tho I really, really hope you don't subscribe to all that stuff about torture being spectator sport and dropping daisy cutters randomly across the middle east. That would make me sad :(

     
  • At Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    I sometimes think Miss Coulter is just playing the role of Angry Blunt Conservative Commentator, and that she just says wild things in order to sell books - like the "Invade their countries and convert them to Christianity" comment she made a few years ago :(

    Obviously, nobody could seriously call things like "playing loud music" torture; at the same time, I think it's obvious that actual torture is not consistent with the American way.

    And it's not even consistent with conservative philosophy, either! I know I am less of a politics wonk and more of a philosophy wonk ;) but both classical and modern conservative thought is deeply rooted in a respect for the unchanging character of human nature and the natural law. Torture - serious torture of the non-loud-music variety - goes against both. Alas, I don't think anybody could make the works and insights of say, Russell Kirk, sexy enough for a 30 second sound bite on cable news!

    Anyway, doesn't "torture as a televised spectator sport" sound like something that would normally issue from the depths of NARAL or Planned Parenthood, two organizations where human diginity is sacrificed to convenience and utility?

    What I'm saying (and taking too long to say) is that even though I usually think Ann is fun to read, I have to admit that I strongly disagree with her on this article!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home