Yes, I'm a natural RED, WHITE and BLUE

Insprirational quote from service last Sunday: "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Sunday, August 28, 2005

First week down, X weeks to go

So, my first week at Panera's was fairly successful. Worked three days, go nearly 18 hours in (since we have to clock out for one half hour break every shift) the last three days, and if They (AKA, the Powers That Be) count the training in last Saturday (as I'm fairly sure Erica said they would), then I'm going to get 20ish hours = yay!

I am no latte/I C drink proficient, and have only sustained one minor burn from the darn espresso machine. (Which was really quite small and Assistant Manager Erica had miraculous burn spray in the first aid box that too the sting instantly out of it. Obviously, am going to look up spray and by a ton for at home, lol.)

In addition, I only had one little jug of milk bubble over/explode on me. Still have no idea HOW this happened, as I was turning knob in off direction at time of kaboom/kaboil. Luckily, this was my first day and there were no sever casualties. ;)

I have also learned that one must THROW a bagel into the machete slicer of doom to increase likelihood of bagel actually being sliced most of the way through. (And I came up with this trick after many stuck bagels on my own, too!) Of course, bagel is generally only mostly decapitated, and large serrated knife must be used to hack bagel the rest of the way into two.

So, if you haven't been able to tell, I'm mainly working in the bakery part of Panera's, with some work in the back tubbing cream cheese, finding 16/20/etc ounce cups and doing general sweeping work. (Plus espresso machine, which one mustn't forget about that, or I'm fairly sure it will get testy, lol.)

Pretty much got a hang of the register (knock on wood) after a few mistakes. But hey, it's a touch screen with roughly 40 million options, so mistakes were pretty much inevitable. To error is human, or whatev. ;)

My family came in yesterday and I was able to catch my break during when they were there, so we go some face time in.

(Remind me to do a posting all on funny customer stories someday...)

I work the following this week:

Monday- 8-2
Tuesday- 7-2
Wednesday- 5:30-12
Thursday- 5:30-12
Friday- 5:30-12
Saturday- ? (I'm probably working, but Erica doesn't lay the schedules out that far in advance, so I'm not sure...)

Soooooooooooooo... Erica's a nice boss type person and all (when she's not stress flipping out... but no one acts normal when they're doing that, lol), but 5:30?? On my second week?? Oh, brother...

Maggie! Come in and see me someday before you go back!

So, got less time to blog as of now, but I will attempt to still hit this thing up a couple of times a week. (And begging won't make it happen faster Mags, because I probably won't have time to check my comments/email near as much, either. ;) ;) :P)

Doc had a great sermon today.

Hudson Anglican Fellowship got it's name officially changed last Tuesday to Holy Trinity Hudson, which sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much like the Episcopal cathedral in Cleveland, which is Trinity Cathedral.

So it wouldn't have been my first choice.

But maybe it'll grow on me in time... But right now... Couldn't there have been a nice Saint's name we could have gone with? Eh....

Have a lovely rest of the weekend!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home